Slings and Arrows

...Like Hamlet says, "whether to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune..."

Fortune here meaning that fickle demon that offers both good and bad.

A new month, new determination.
I finished the re-write over a week ago and as planned, I printed the new draft. Then I stalled out. I made a list of things I want to check for. A couple things are kind of big - like seeking places to expand one of the relationships between characters, or expanding the subplot. Otherwise, I want to read for excessive adverbs, unnecessary dialog tags, find my pet words that I use too much. You know, clean house a bit, verbiage-wise.

I have read - and this being my first book, everything I'm doing is based on things I've read - that it's not a good use of time to edit for nit-picky details before you are totally satisfied with the story. Because what if you make big changes, and then you have to go back and pick for nits again?

But I can't. I tried sitting down with the manuscript and found myself looking for everything all at once. So I stalled.

New month, new determination.

I have determined that my process with this one, at least, will be to read this draft for the details first. I have to. It's how my brain works. It's hard to focus on the big picture when I can't get through a paragraph without a red pen.

I have determined that I will read once for adverbs. Simply marking them with a colored pen, I think.
Then I will read once for dialog tags, using a different color. (Apparently dialog tags are a major issue? I don't think it's a particular problem of mine. That edit should go quickly.)
Then I will grab a highlighter and mark repeated words. I have a short list of ones I caught myself using during the re-write. Maybe I'll find others.

It is entirely possible that I'll find I agree with "them" and that this detail work is too much, too soon, but it's my book, my decision to make.

On to the manuscript!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakthrough!

When Life Intervenes

Distractions