Distractions

We all have distractions. The trick is finding a way to move forward around or through the distractions.

Lately, life has taken a turn and dropped an extra plate in my lap. Not a problem in the long run, but the last week or two has been rather chaotic trying to keep all the plates spinning on the pole and ending up dropping one or two.

The good news is, I actually made some good progress in my WIP, I think. At least it's getting organized so that I can, at some point, make "good progress".

The slow news is in the editing work. I sorted out my editing work in Scrivener as I needed, but then stalled. I had made a list of things that need to be done to the manuscript, and struggled with the next step. So today, I'm moving beyond that. It's very freeing to release yourself from your own rules. Who says things need to be done in a certain order?

So I sat down with the printed manuscript to start putting my hand-written changes into the document, prior to dissecting a particular relationship arc that needs attention. HOWEVER... Back when I started revising the printed manuscript, I had decided to cut out the first scene(s). Starting at a different place means adding some key bits that were in the original opening. Plus, I recently read something about ways to grab your audience in the opening, so I'm trying to add alliteration, the "rule of three", and ensure there is a promise of something big on the horizon. All in the first scene.

It's slow going.

Hence, distracting myself by writing a blog post when I should be editing. The document is open on my computer. The manuscript is open on my desk. The appropriate soundtrack is playing on Spotify. My brain is in 40 places at once, though. It's a struggle

Comments

  1. I love writing (mostly), I'm not a fan of editing. I'd rather hand it to someone else after I've done a couple run throughs and let them take over from there while I move on to the next one.

    I created a meme you might like....feel free to save. https://dbmcnicol.blogspot.com/2019/05/distraction-vs-focus.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Thank you. It will be my wallpaper.
      (somehow I forgot to check comments on this one.)

      Delete
    2. LOL and I’m in the process of moving my blog to dbmcnicol.com/blog so we’ve both been busy. Glad you liked it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breakthrough!

When Life Intervenes