Sleep-Writing?

 You know how sometimes you have a great idea in the middle of the night and either you don't write it down and can't remember it properly on waking, or you actually have the foresight to jot a note and it's unintelligible in the morning?

Well, that didn't happen, but it might as well have.

We've had some weather and household things to contend with, so I didn't write at all for the last two days. Today, I opened my WIP and in the last paragraph that I wrote, the penultimate sentence is this:

At the car, the farmer handed a note to Lee.

I'm nearing the end of the story, and rather than trying to ease into a sweet ending, I'm trying to inject suspense, maybe a nebulous sense of ominous foreshadowing. But WTF did I mean? What is in the note?!?!

I know exactly what happened. I have started adding writing time in the evening, when I'm on my computer for other reasons anyway. I leave Scrivener open in the background, and when I have a break I go over and add more words. It's been a successful tactic.

Until now.

Apparently I didn't think I had time to flesh out what the note was.

...Or maybe my writing was interrupted by my paid work.

... And in all likelihood I forgot to check what I'd written before closing my computer for the night. If I had, I might at least have jotted a note to myself about what my intention was.

But I didn't. And now I think I have to scrap it and make it an easy ending for the first draft. Hopefully during my first edit I'll think of a good idea for a "note from the farmer" but without knowing what my idea was, I'm stuck. 

Gotta keep writing, so I'll set that idea aside. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakthrough!

When Life Intervenes

Distractions