Editing Challenges

Well, so much for doing A-to-Z. I forgot about it for two days. But, in the spirit of it:

EDITING CHALLENGES

The way I'm doing this edit follows a "top-down" system I learned about, actually through a Nanowrimo virtual write-in. Four steps -

1. Read the manuscript and MAKE NOTES. Notes should be coded for whether the suggested change will effect a) the whole story (or at least multiple chapters), b) just the current scene/chapter, or c) just that sentence/line.

2. Tackle the notes that will effect the whole story. These could be big cuts, added scenes, or themes that stretch throughout the story.

3. Now, tackle the notes that will effect a scene or chapter. After the big cuts from step 2, there may be fewer of them left.

4. Finally, go through all those nit-picky line notes. Clean up the language. Make it flow.

Theoretically, step one should only take a couple days, but this vomit draft needs a lot of work. I hope to get step one up to the mid-point of this WIP today. That's 2 days later than I had originally planned. Also, I've not been spending as much time each day on this as I need to. 

Must. Fix. Schedule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakthrough!

When Life Intervenes

Distractions