To Edit or Rewrite?

Again with the long hiatus from blogging! First, it was because all was going according to plan. I followed a three-step edit process, making notes that change the overall story, then per chapter or scene, and finally noting lines that needed to be fixed.

Then I traveled for a while and struggled to get back into the routine of writing and editing.

Now I'm back, with a new focus. Still in the WIP from Nanowrimo 2022, but I realized that regardless of all the notes I had made, the overall "feel" of the book was wrong. It was too straightforward. This book should make the reader cringe. I want it to be spooky as hell.

It's not my strong suit.

A few days ago I saved the whole thing under a new title, so I can do a massive overhaul of it without obliterating the original in case this version turns out worse. Then I deleted a bunch of scenes that seem superfluous or too light. There are a few changes that will need to be made to the story line, so I've begun working those scenes.

At the moment, I'm starting at the new beginning point with a focus on atmosphere. I'll delete big chunks, I'm sure, but the main thing with this revision is to add tension, to show what makes this house, this character, this area, this concept scary to the protagonist.

I hope it will work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breakthrough!

When Life Intervenes

Distractions